6 Days/5 NIGHT Umbwe route
ENQUIRE THIS TOUR
The Umbwe route has a well-deserved reputation of being the most challenging route on Mount Kilimanjaro. Approaching from the south, the Umbwe route is a short, steep and direct climb. After reaching Barranco Camp, the trail follows the southern circuit to the summit. The descent is done via the Mweka route. Umbwe is considered to be very difficult, taxing route – one that should only be attempted by strong hikers who are also confident of their ability to acclimatize to altitude.
DAY 1: UMBWE GATE TO FOREST CAVE CAMP (2850M) – 7-8 HOURS WALK
Follow the track up through the forest. The track becomes a path and continues through the forest on a ridge between two valleys. In some parts you may have to scramble up steep sections of the path using tree roots for support. Continue through occasional red paint marks on the trees, to reach the forest caves (2850m).
DAY 2: FOREST CAVE CAMP TO BARRANCO CAMP (2850M – 3950)-ALTITUDE GAIN: 1100M.A.S.L
Forest Caves – Barranco Hut; 5 km; 4-5 hours walk
From the caves continue following the path up the ridge. The path leaves the forest and passes through heather, and then open moorland, where the main peaks first come into clear view. You keep right to reach Barranco Hut (3950m).
DAY 3 : BARRANCO HUT TO LAVA TOWER: ( 3950M – 4600M) – ALTITUDE GAIN 650M.A.S.L
Barranco Hut – Lava Tower; 3 hours walk.
The trek continues by keeping left at the junction of animal bones, and flocking right in the valley when you reach the large stream flowing south-west to Lava Tower Hut (4600m).
DAY 4 : LAVA TOWER TO ARROW GLACIER: ( 4600M – 4800M )……ALTITUDE GAIN 200M.A.SL.
Lava Tower – Arrow Glacier: 4 hours walk.
Keep right (east) and continue up steeply over the Lava Tower across to the west. The path becomes increasingly steep until you reach a flat platform at the base of western breach, the site of Arrow Glacier camp (4800m).
DAY 5: ARROW GLACIER TO UHURU PEAK: (4800M – 5896M)….ALTITUDE GAIN 1096M.A.SL.
Arrow Glacier – Uhuru Peak – Mweka Camp: distance: 14 km – time: 4-5 hours walk.
You start this day very early in the morning, to see the sunrise at the crater rim and to avoid the mist. The snow on the ascent will still be frozen. From the peak (5896m) you descend steeply downhill through patchy giant heather to reach Mweka Hut (3100m).
DAY 06: MWEKA CAMP TO MWEKA GATE: (5896M – 3100M) – DESCEND: 2,796M.A.S.L
Mweka camp – mweka gate: 14 km; 5-7 hours walk.
Descend steeply through the forest on narrow path, along the crest of broad ridge between two river valleys to Mweka gate. Transfer to your overnight hotel in Moshi town/Arusha town for resting.
- Pick up from Kilimanjaro airport (round trip),
- 2night accommodation at a premium hotel – standard room (bed and breakfast in Moshi – Kilimanjaro)
- All mountain Kilimanjaro entrance fees, hut, camp and rescue fees
- Experienced and professional English-speaking guide and Porters
- Full board -3 meals a day whilst on trek and camping gears
- Tents and mess tent (dining mess)
- First aid kit, Private toilet and Sleeping bag
- Lunch boxes the first day on the mountain and at the last day on descent from the mountain
- Purified water on the mountain (2botlle of water 1.5-liter x 2 = 3litre a day)
- Transfers to and from the mountain gates from and to Moshi
- Your successful International certificate of Mount Kilimanjaro (KINAPA)
- Hot shower tent
- Foam mattress and pillow
- Mountain Hardware Trango 4 tent
- Guides and porters’ salaries
- All Government taxes
- Administration cost
- Drinks, (Alcoholic and non- alcoholic)
- Personal climbing gears,
- Travel Insurance and flight ticket
- Hire of any clothing / equipment, personal toiletry & requirements and All items of a personal nature.
- Water purifying tablets, Insulation pad,
- Boots and light walking shoes
- Balaclava and Woolen hat or Scarf Snow goggles
- Sun glasses
- Gaiters and Gloves -Sweaters
- Jumpers Pants and Jackets (waterproof)
- Water bottle
- Anorak / raincoat & several pairs of socks
- Insect repellent Sun protection cream and lip salve,
- Flash light with spare